Board Meeting Minutes February 2018

Present: Patti Lennon, Larry Martin, Nancy Engels, Terry O’Brien, Laura Gee, Susan Czerepak

Welcome: Patti Lennon

Patti called the meeting to order at 10:00.

Old Business:

None

Secretary’s Report: Susan Czerepak

Motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes of September 9, 2017. All in favor. Approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Bill Mann

Bill did not attend the meeting but submitted the Treasurer’s Report (Balance Sheet and Income/Expense Report) for the period ending December 31, 2017. A Financial Highlights Report was provided through January 31, 2018 to reflect the dues and donations received in January for 2017. The Report is appended at the end of these Minutes.

It was noted that income from dues has increased, while income from donations appears to have decreased. However, when adjustment is made for the special educational donation, received in 2017, the donations have actually increased slightly.

Motion was made and seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report. All in favor. Approved.

Access Greeter Report: Terry O’Brien

Terry is in the process of interviewing candidates for the access greeter position.

There was discussion about various options for finding suitable candidates. Terry will be interviewing a potential candidate in the next week or so. Depending on how that goes we may find that we need to place an ad in the paper. The position must be filled by May and we need to allow time for running an ad, receiving applications, and conducting interviews.

Now that the state has made boat inspection mandatory, we want the greeters to look as official as possible. Terry has learned that the state will not supply nor fund the purchase of vests for greeters to wear that would fit over any garment. The Board agreed that Terry should buy some low cost “vests” for our greeters to wear.

There was discussion about the mandatory boat inspections. There is no guidance from the state as to what constitutes an “inspection” and no requirements for verification. Terry has inquired as to whether the state would be providing some sort of a checklist that could be supplied to boat owners. Currently the state has no formal process or paperwork in place. It is possible that at the April training session, information and materials will be provided. Depending on that, we may consider being trailblazers and coming up with a checklist of our own.

Action items – Terry will:

  • Conduct interview of greeter candidate and notify Patti if we need to run an ad
  • Purchase vests for greeters
  • Attend the April Greeter meeting
  • If necessary, draft a checklist that can be supplied to boaters

Watershed/Aquatic Nuisance Grants :- Laurie Gee

Laurie has submitted both the Aquatic Nuisance Grant and the Watershed Grant. We have not yet received a response to the Watershed Grant application.

After we have received the grant funds, we will determine how to allocate them.

Proposed 2018 Association Dates: Patti Lennon

  • May 26th – Board Meeting
  • July 1st – Color Challenge
  • July 21st – Annual Meeting
  • August 18th – Annual Picnic
  • September 8nd – Board Meeting

The proposed dates were discussed and approved.

Charleston Elementary School: – Patti Lennon

Educational program – We discussed continuation of the educational program at the elementary school.

We had offered to fund a program conducted by either Siskin or NorthWoods. The school would like to continue with Siskin to maintain continuity. This year’s program will be provided to the 3rd and 4th grades for a cost of $900. There will be three 1-hour winter classes and three 1-hour spring classes followed by a field trip.

In addition, the school would like Siskin to do a pre-school program, the cost is yet to be determined.

It was noted that NorthWoods provides afterschool programs for the school.

Action Item: Patti will follow up with Jean Wilson about arranging the pre-school program

Water Bottles – We have purchased 200 new water bottles. The school distributed approximately 150 bottles to the students. These water bottles carry the logos of both Echo Lake Association and Siskin 

VIP Training – Patti Lennon

VIP Training will take place on Echo Lake this summer, but will be open to everyone and not limited to Echo Lake residents.

The date of the training has not yet been set. We are hoping for late summer when the weeds are actually growing. An indoor site will also be required for some of the training and that site has not yet been determined.

Color Challenge: – Patti Lennon

The goal for this event is to raise $5,000.00. We expect expenses to be approximately $1,000.00. To date, Patti has spent about $500.00

We are hoping to raise $3,500.00 from sponsors and to have approximately 150 participants, raising an additional $2,500.00.

Annual Picnic – Larry Martin

The Annual Picnic will be held on August 18 and the same group as last year will provide music.

Action item: Larry – Book the entertainment. 

Board Positions – Patti Lennon

Terry has committed for another 3-year term ending 2021

Ann Hunsicker’s term filling Mike Vinton’s position ends in 2018. She will then be eligible for two 3-year terms for a total of 7 years.

We need to reach out to the membership for other possible board members

Spring Newsletter: – Patti Lennon

We agreed that the Spring Newsletter should be delivered in mid-April.

Include articles for:

  • Access Greeter program – Terry O’Brien
  • Color Challenge – Patti Lennon
  • Lake Survey – Peggy Stevens
  • Charleston Elementary-Siskin field trip – Jean Wilson
  • 2018 Grants – Laurie Gee
  • VIP training –Patti Lennon
  • A “gossip” column – introducing new residents, bidding farewell to those who have left, etc. It was suggested that someone from the Membership Committee could write the article – Tom Wagner?.
  • Something about the new Echo Lake map that will be available for sale – Laurie Gee.
  • Save the Dates
    • Color Challenge – July 1
    • Annual Meeting – July 21
    • Annual Picnic – August 18
  • Website address
  • Visitors (Renters) Packet to be prepared by the membership committee

Action items –

  • Larry will contact the Membership Committee about the “gossip “column article
  • Susan will prepare a draft of the Newsletter by end of March.

Dues Form – Patti Lennon

We discussed delivery of the new dues form to members and non-members that reflects the change to $25.00 individuals and $50.00 for families. Rather than including the Dues Form in the Spring Newsletter we will send a separate email in mid-April to the membership with the new Dues Form.

At the end of April we will send physical mail to property owners who are not currently members and to any member who did not pay in 2017.

We need to develop a list of all property owners, members and non-members. It was suggested that perhaps Bill Mann, Tom Wagner, and Jean Wilson would be the best to come up with a comprehensive list based on a comparison of the existing membership list with the property owners identified on the new map. The Treasurer should be the keeper of this list.

In October we will send out another physical mailing to all members who have not yet paid dues.

Action item: Larry will contact Bill and Tom Wagner about developing a comprehensive list of names and addresses.

Friends of Echo Lake and /Renters Packet

This summer we need to design a separate Friends Form that is not attached to the Dues Form.

We also need to develop a Renters Packet that will provide useful information for house guests and renters who visit the lake.

We do not have a list of rental properties.

Action item: Larry will pursue the development of a Renters Packet with the Membership Committee.

Echo Lake Map – Laurie Gee

Laurie is currently working with Memphremagog Press on the map. Properties will be listed by last name and first initial. Laminated and non-laminated versions of the map will be available for sale. The sale price has not yet been determined.

If the maps are ready in time we could have them available for sale at the Color Challenge and the Annual Meeting.

New Business: Susan Czerepak

Identify masking for our website was implemented by pair Networks, our domain host, at no charge. Our domain will expire in May. It was agreed that the domain should be extended for 5 years at a cost of $65.00. Susan will pay the charge and get reimbursed.

Action item: Susan will renew our website domain for 5 years.

Adjourned: At 12:40

Submitted by Susan Czerepak: February 24, 2018

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

 

2017 Balance Sheet

As of 12/31 2017 (Cash Basis)

Account 12/31/17
   
ASSETS  
   Cash and Bank Accounts  
       ELPA Savings Account ¹ $21,265.80
       ELPA Checking Account $88.74
       ELPA Busines Checking Account $74.74
       ELPA CD $15,005.01
       Total Cash and Bank Accounts $36,434.29
   
   TOTAL ASSETS $36,434.29
   
LIABILITIES & EQUITY  
   
   LIABILITIES $0.00
   
   EQUITY $36,434.29
   
TOTAL LIABILITIES & EQUITY $36,434.29
   
¹ $320 deposited in Jan. 2018 for 2017  

 

 

Income/Expense by Category – 2017

As of 12/31/2017 (Cash Basis)

Category 1/1/2017 – 12/31/2017 OVERALL TOTAL
     
CASH CARRIED FORWARD FROM 2016 $23,969.67 $23,969.67
     
INCOME    
   Dues ¹ $2,550.00 $2,550.00
   Donations ¹ $4,920.00 $4,920.00
   Color Challenge $7,019.57 $7,019.57
   Charleston Appropriation for 2016 $1,000.00 $1,000.00
   Watershed Grant – 2016 2nd payment $900.00 $900.00
   Aquatic Nuisance Grant – 2017 1st payment $2,512.00 $2,512.00
   Aquatic Nuisance Grant – 2017 2nd payment $3,768.00 $3,768.00
   Aquatic Nuisance Grant – 2016 2nd payment $4,260.00 $4,260.00
   Interest from Savings $27.24 $27.24
   TOTAL INCOME $26,956.81 $26,956.81
     
EXPENSES    
   Payroll Costs $11,925.26 $11,925.26
   Access Monitor Insurance $1,198.00 $1,198.00
   BOD Liability Insurance $550.00 $550.00
   Checks $37.49 $37.49
   Postage $49.00 $49.00
   Supplies $15.77 $15.77
   Color Challenge Expenses $364.67 $364.67
   P.O. Box Rental – 1yr. $52.00 $52.00
   Picnic $240.00 $240.00
   NorthWoods $100.00 $100.00
   FOVLAP $50.00 $50.00
   VCE $100.00 $100.00
   TOTAL EXPENSES $14,682.19 $14,682.19
     
INCREASE/(DECREASE) $12,274.62 $12,274.62
     
OVERALL TOTAL CASH ON HAND   $36,244.29
     
¹ $120 in Dues and $200 in Donations deposited in Jan. 2018 for 2017  

 

Financial Highlights for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014

As of 1/31/2018 (Cash Basis)

 

INCOME 2017 2016 2015 2014
Dues $2,550 $2,265 $1,975 $2,220
Donations $4,920 $5,710 $3,900 $4,198
Aquatic Nuisance $10,540 $7,940 $3,400 $5,000
Town Grant $1,000 $1,000 $1,000 $1,000
Map Sales       $10
Watershed Grant $900 $4,600 $5,000 $4,000
Color Challenge $7,020 $5,343 $3,889  
Blueberry Bushes   $992    
Savings Interest $27 $25 $17 $10
Total $26,957 $27,875 $19,181 $16,508

 

EXPENSES 2017 2016 2015 2104
Payroll $11,925 $13,356 $13,767 $11,556
Monitor Insurance $1,198      
Monitor Bonus/Incentive   $525    
Insurance $550 $550 $500 $500
NorthWoods Donation $100 $100 $100 $100
VCE Donation $100 $100 $100 $50
FOVLAP $50 $50 $50 $50
Shoreline Workshop       $100
501(c)3 Application Fee       $400
Web Site Hosting   $432    
Color Challenge $365 $833 $1,439  
Blueberry Bushes   $992    
Charl. School Program   $1,250    
Miscellaneous** $378 $561 $296 $484
Total $14,666 $18,749 $16,252 $13,240

 

Bank Account 2017 2016 2015 2014
Beginning Balance $23,969.67 $14,864.22 $11,936.27 $8,691.75
Ending Balance

·       Checking

·       Savings

·       Bus. Checking

·       CD (12 Month)

$37,038.66

$88.74

$21,867.62

$74.74

$15,007.56

$23,969.67

$50.68

$23,918.99

$14,864.22

$43.22

$14,821.00

$11,936.27

$67.04

$11,869.23

Change $13,068.99 $9,105.45 $2,927.95 $3,244.52

 

Memberships 2017 2016 2015 2104
Family 79 68 59 70
Single 12 10 10 12

**Annual meeting, picnic, mailings, P.O. Box rental, misc. expenses